Saturday, July 5, 2008

This week has been crazy


June 29, 2008

Today was an amazing day. I finally got to sleep in for a bit and that was nice. We discussed asa whole the economic hit man novel. It has been nice here having some wonderful conversations with people that are passionate about education and topics like I am. The big event of the day was visiting St. Judes Center, which is part hospital, part orphanage. It was pretty heartbreaking to see these kids, buta also extremely inspiring to see their happiness and strength. I spent most of the time there playing football (soccer of course) with the kids. There was one phenomenal player there and any move I did, he emulated ( so only two moves, slow and slower) and he probably did it better. It is a shame to know his gift probably will never be shared with the world, because of his position at the home. They sang and danced for us and we took so many photos. I felt like we objectified them a bit and hope if we go again we all agree to not bring our cameras and just enjoy their company. I think we made their day and it was very humbling to see their struggle.

At night we all went to Kope CafĂ© for movie night. We watched Charlie Wilson’s War. It connects to our stay here well and the role Americans play in the world. I felt like I was back in the states, watching a flick with friends. After the movie, nine of us went to KSP, a local bar owned by the few Indians still there from Idi Amin’s rule, to watch the Euro final, Go Spain!!! It was filled with Ugandans all cheering for Spain (remember the Germans were huge colonizers in Africa). The highlight of the night was watching big 6 foot 11 inch Jon bust a chair and all the Ugandans cheer for him as he crashed to the ground. Jon and I walked it home and it is so ridiculously dark without any light on the streets. It was nice to get his perspective on things in Uganda as he was here last year. Now it is time for Atanga tomorrow, so I am pretty nervous, but super excited.

June 30, 2008

Well I am here in Atanga!!! We drove up this morning and the ride from Gulu to Atanga is very difficult, as there is no paved road and it was off road driving for over an hour. Getting into rural Uganda you really get to see the beauty of the country and landscape and it is amazing in the north. It is so raw and untouched with amazing savanna for miles. We are about thirty minutes from the Sudanese border and tension is still pretty high by most about the current situation without a peace agreement from the rebels and that is why many remain at the IDP (Internally Displaced Person) camp and have not returned to their homes. We got to the camp and it is a whole new world from Gulu. It is about 40,000 people living in huts very close together in order to protect themselves from the rebels and civil war, as many were slaughtered and the children were kidnapped and forced to fight during the civil war. It is Africa with real deal naked babies crossing the street without any guidance and cows and goats running a muck throughout the streets, it is outrageous.

Anyways we are staying at a lodging that is run by an NGO group that monitors and tracks the displaced people as some return home. It is pretty squalor. It is basically a storage shed with a window and door. It is between a bunch of huts and is basically a jail cell without electricity or running water. We met the lady that is going to make meals for us, her Christian name is Brenda and she will cook for us during our stay. We finally then set forth for Atanga senior secondary school where we are placed.

The school is pretty rugged. It has three buildings to teach in for 250 boys and about 50 girls. There are no female teachers at Atanga and the staff is interesting to say the least. After our introductions, Catherine and Oliker David left us and it really set in what I was in for up in Atanga. Anyways we had lunch and I got to meet the faculty, then my partner teacher Alfred and I went to plan his lesson. His facts and data of the world are way off, but I question does it matter and it is not his fault because most of his resources come from the 1990’s. I got to watch him teach and he was so excited to have me there and introduced me and the kids were very welcoming and definitely interested to see a white dude, because many have never witnessed one. I am excited to be a part of the class.

Finally David, his partner teacher Otim Jon and I biked it home and Jon took us around the camp. We got called Munu a lot and many kids came up to touch us and ran away scared from the evil white men. J We finally sat in front of a shop and chilled for a bit. Everyone in town know who David and I are, we stand out a little and a lot of people introduced themselves to us. Finally we ate at Brenda’s ( beans and rice). I am a little tired and feeling down a bit but am ready for bed and just want to be around people. It sucks feeling a little lonely here.

July 1, 2008 Are we Together?

So I am doing good again today. Last night was a little tough but it is all good. It finally rained and it was a very hard rain. Also, Amy called and that mellowed me out that we were not forgotten and the sox swept the cubs (at least that is what I am told) which made things o.k. I realized nothing really grosses me out or surprises me. Insects, sanitation, etc… has been ridiculously poor but we get by. No showers or mirrors/ sinks up here, just latrines and a jug to wash myself. The rain stopped and David and I were on our way to school. Its is about a 15 minute bike ride. It is not that far, just without paved roads and it just poured, it is a little difficult.

We got there for the everyday morning assembly outside. The head student basically tells the kids how much they have sucked it up recently, then they go to class. We got reintroduced again and the kids seem to enjoy my name, they call me “Joshuawww”. I watched Alfred’s class again. I noticed so many things that I can help him out with, which excites me and he seems very interested when I suggest ideas to engage the students more, because it is mostly straight lecture. It is funny, instead of saying “do you understand?” he asks them “ Are we together?”

It will be interesting trying to find things to do to fill my free time. Tomorrow I do not have to teach so I am screwed. Maybe I will finally shower. I have so much time to think here and it is a little worrisome sometimes. Life is very slow here, no one is ever on time or in a hurry. I question the desire for people to change? Are they content?

I had a great conversation with the teacher about saving money. Many Ugandans do not save because they feel they do not know if they will be there tomorrow. Also they believe savings leads to laziness, alcoholism and other bad things because if you have money you will use it poorly.

After school we went to Alfred’s home. I think the reality of where I am at really sat in. He shares a room with another teacher and the room could not be bigger than 8x8, one window, no electricity, no water or bathroom, no bed, just a rug and mosquito net. He is so well respected at the camp and he lives like that, and in all reality he is really happy. He continues to look at life in a positive way and enjoys what he is doing in this world. It is impossible not to be inspired by him.

We left Alfred and relaxed. Bathing is a chore here but I finally did it. I just use a big jug and go to a stall outside and go for it. We sat outside last night and relaxed as children caught flying white ants. The people here pluck the wings and cook them and eat them. They say it tastes like popcorn. I realize how hard Atanga is , but the people do not show it. They continue to fight on and live life to the fullest.

No comments: