Saturday, June 28, 2008

Free day in Gulu

No pictures, everything is too slow, maybe next week.

Yesterday was a very fulfilling day and I got to really do a lot of things that I have been wanting to do since I got up here. The plan was for everyone to spend the day with their cooperating teacher, but since my placement is so far away they could not stay and instead David and I had Alfred and John (David’s guy) over for breakfast. It is funny they came and laughed and how the place looked and food we ate because it was “muzungu” food. We sent them on their way and I look forward to getting up to Atanga on Monday. So I had the rest of the day to get things done and had time to myself as the rest of the people were with their teachers all day. We did not see half the group today, as they are staying somewhere else and it was a little weird to not see them. We have become a nice little family and it just felt like something was missing all day. In this environment you look for a little routine or familiarity and that was lost a little without some of the people that I have grown to be close with.

David and I went exploring in town and got a bunch of supplies for our journey up to Atanga. We are still really unsure what to expect and without a peace agreement, I am a little nervous to go up there, but it will also be an experience solely mine and something that is very different from everyone else who came to Uganda with me. You need to understand that Gulu is almost all dirt roads and is very tight and congested, but as David and I were in the market ( and I mean real deal open market, it is great), we saw an amazing parade. About two hundred people wearing Manchester United gear were dancing, marching and singing through the streets. I have video it is hilarious. Supposedly on the other side of town, there was an Arsenal one, this place is nuts. After that, I went out on my own and that has been something I have wanted to do for a while. I found a bunch of kids and brought out the Frisbee and many have never played with one before and I spent two hours running around with kids and throwing the Frisbee, it was cool to interact with them. They all ask to be my friend, it is pretty funny, but also extremely heartwarming. When they went in to take lunch, I met up with some people from the first group and went to a house called HEALS, which is a dance house, almost an after school program that promotes Acholi culture through song and dance. Our boy Norman got the kids ready and it was awesome. They warmed up by breakdancing and performing some hip hop dance, which is great. They have seen it on video and emulate it quite well. Then they performed four traditional dances for us. Two royal ones, one where the boys court the girls and one girl only dance for rain. It was unique and I was completely in awe.

That really wrapped up my day. We finally had a night to chill and relax and it was calm with only half the group around the IC house now. I spent a good hour telling them about this year of girls soccer at Waubonsie. They were so interested and amazed at what the girls accomplished this year. I felt very proud to tell them about it and I showed them pictures from state. Go Warriors!! I am looking forward to tomorrow going to St. Judes Hospital here and working with the kids that are stricken with terrible illnesses and diseases. This is my last contact for a week, so I will talk to you all next week.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

so joshua, were you able to learn some "moves" from the HEALS house??? or better yet, did you show 'em what kinda moves you have?! LOL! sounds like lots of fun...you rock! can't wait to hear all about St. Jude's hospital, that's gotta be quite the experience. be safe, luv ya!

Berg said...

Moreme Omera
I am sure you will be a great prop...Way to represent, ya Muzungu. Make sure to explain we have many names and sometimes you prefer Robby.
Dong Maber


Take a lot of video...I will help edit it.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I've got a message from Dad (he couldn't get the message to post.) He said that the soxs swept the cubs! Yeah Sox! and that also he will be calling you on monday, or trying to call you on monday. They went to Wisconsin for the weekend. I look forward to your update this weekend. Love you!

John Magee said...

This is for Josh's sister. I have several pictures of your brother and posted one recently at www.mageeinuganda.blogspot.com
Your brother is a great guy and a great teacher and is going to do amazing things for the people of Uganda.

John Magee

Anonymous said...

Dad said today that the sox swept the indians as well, but thought the cubs sweep was more important. He says stay safe etc.
P.S. thanks for the link John I appreciate it

Pankuch said...

Great idea bringing a frisbee! Make sure you ask the kids what games they play and jump in with them. Take lots of pics and video! I am excited that you have an "adventureous" placement...but be safe. Just remember...blend in. Dress like them, eat with them, but maybe shave the beard and I bet they'll never know!