Thursday, June 26, 2008

Getting to know Gulu

June 27, 2008

Yesterday was a whole day of getting to know Gulu and preparing us for the classroom. I am sleeping 2nd floor on a three level bunk, which is great. We had the P.R. director from Invisible Children meet with us to explain more about what IC is all about and to help make us more informed. It is great to hear that they are continually moving forward and looking for ways to continue to help and that they understand they need to continually progress forward in order to best help out the people of Gulu. It was great to hear that they are providing people with ways to manage money and create jobs. If you have not looked at the bracelet campaign on invisiblechildren.com I would do that, because that is where 100 percent of the scholarship money for the students comes from. After that, we had a lwo language lesson from Dennis and it was very helpful. The language is very fluid and is great. We had to sound so ridiculous to him, but trying to learn a language that we have no base for is so difficult. After that, we went into Gulu to eat and the first walk into town was outrageous. The kids and people definitely stare at you and why wouldn’t they, they rarely see white people and they definitely know when a larger group comes around. The kids are so friendly and when you ask “How are you?”, they all respond “I am fine!” It is pretty funny. I tried to speak a little to them saying words like “apwooyo” (hello), and “kope di?” (How are you?). They respond but all laugh. Lunch was good, but then we got to hear a speech on colonialism in Uganda and the classroom. It was interesting to get a very different point of view.

Finally we got to wonder around town and that was amazing. We went to the market, which has an open food market, tailors, and imported goods like Man U. and Chelsea jerseys. We kind of wandered the streets just getting acclimated, but was great. I did not take any pictures as I try to establish myself a little bit here, and not be a tourist. I will get you some pictures soon on the town. I found an internet café and was able to update the blog and that will be where I come on the weekends. The way home was amazing, because I got to experience my first boda boda ride. The best and most abundant mode of transportation is to ride on the back of a small motorcycle through the dirt roads of Gulu. It is awesome. They are flying in and out of other bodas and cars and are dodging potholes. I will definitely video myself on one, it is hilarious.

Later we ate and talked with each other, which was nice to just kind of detox from all the things that we have been seeing and doing. You really start to forge some relationships with people as you get to know them and that has been a great part of the whole experience as you begin to create some good friendships. Anyways miss you all, take care.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want pics of you!! I'm sure Dad and Deb would appreciate it too! Did that open air market have machetes? Remember when you and Jill got so freaked out in the carribean that one time? I miss you and stay safe!!