Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Last day in Kampala

This is the last chance I think to blog for a couple of days. The picture solution is working its way out but basically I have to cut down my pics to get them sent properly. Anyways the U.S. embassy was a crazy experience. First as we drove through Kampala, the driving is my style. Only five lights in the whole city, so it works the bigger car/ boda boda (bike taxi) or person gets the right of way. At the embassy we talked with the someone with the education advisor and she kept it pretty real about the problems facing the people in Northern Uganda.

Basically, there is little to invest into it at times, because few see incentives of it, especially for women. Why pay for education of a girl that you will lose when she marries into another family or clan? Along with that, since the civil war in the north, there has been so much displacement it makes things difficult. Schools relocated and buildings were torn down, so it makes it difficult. Many went to IDP (Internally displaced people) camps, and it changed the school structure. This is where I will be teaching. Now many are returning and schools are changing. They stressed the idea of accountability among teachers, parents, and students, something that is also sometimes a problem in the states.

Anways after that went to one of the top schools in Uganda, the Libiri school. It was so large, 3000 kids but the size of a small college campus. I took a bunch of pics and we got to see classes and talk to kids. At their break, they all got out on the soccer pitch and I was aching to get out there, but was in a hurry. I heard there will be plenty of opportunities at the IDP camp so I cannot wait.

Anyways love and miss you all, but this is already way beyond my wildest dreams.

4 comments:

Berg said...

Today I was watching GolTV news and the announcer said, "Turkey has 11 field players able to play against Germany...they might sub their 3rd string keeper up top." I just started laughing.

Adeus (getting ready for Brasil).

Nick said...

Good to hear you made it alright!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your having a good time. Africa sounds like a lot of fun. Take care of yourself, love you. Keep us updated, cya when you get home.
--Dad.

--Dad is computer illiterate as you know so I'm posting for him. I'm trying to get it set up for them. Watch out for those evil poo flinging monkeys.

Christi said...

Glad you arrived safely at your destination! Sounds like things are off to a great start! I'm really excited to see the pictures that you're going to post and hear about how their education system differs from ours. I'm curious about their limitations as far as technology is concerned. What's been the biggest challenge so far?
:)Christi