Thursday, June 5, 2008

Hey all. This is the first of many blogs that I hope you guys will take a look at as I travel to Africa this summer and experience all that there is to offer in Uganda. For those that do not know I will be going to Uganda this summer with Invisiblechildren.com as part of their teacher exchange program. I applied for the position in November and went through an interview process and was lucky enough to be one of roughly thirty people chosen to be a part of the program. The program is in the second year and looks to be an experience that I will never forget.

The website for the group is www.invisiblechildren.com. To give you a little insight, I will be teaching geography in the northern part of Uganda, outside the city of Gulu. For years there has been war and violence throughout the region, where the people of the region have been displaced into refugee camps and in some instances, the children have been force to fight in the conflict. Recent attempts at peace have allowed the opportunity for myself to go to the region and help educate the children of Northern Uganda as they attempt to bring back some normalcy to their lives.

I am super excited and I will add to this as much as possible with pictures and some words to try to explain this amazing experience that I will have. Before I even get going I want to thank all the people that allowed me to have this experience. Of course my dad and Deb for giving me the character to see the bigger picture in the world, my friends for being excited and telling me that I can do some good in this world, the people of Waubonsie for their monetary and emotional support ( you guys are my second family), and finally the kids I teach everyday. They are my inspiration and guiding light that drive me to educate and take an active role in the world.

I am sorry this is a long post but I needed to leave a foundation for what should be an amazing adventure. June 21 is getting close, and I will get back to you all then.

2 comments:

Berg said...

I watched the video and as I read through your blog, it gave me chills. You amaze me! I can't wait to see your pictures.

blake twins said...

What a great thing you are doing! Have a blast and we look forward to hearing about it and seeing pictures! Take care!