Saturday, June 28, 2008

Meeting my co teacher alfred

June 28, 2008

Yesterday was a very long and interesting day with a lot of things going on as we get ready to head to our placements. In the morning Jon grabbed me and we went searching for an internet café that we heard about. Searching in Gulu is not the easiest thing but we found it and I was able to download some of those pics so know I have to make sure to take better photos which I will be doing today. Jon is about 6’11” so watching him on a boda is hilarious. He constantly makes the driver pop wheelies and it sometimes he has to get off, but it is great. We had an early morning meeting with Huston, who is in charge of all the NGO (Non-Governmental Organizations) coordination explained to us all the different groups that exist within Gulu. There are a lot of groups throughout the world providing aid to the people of Northern Uganda, but we are only one of two at secondary schools and I think we do a wonderful job employing the majority Ugandans to work for IC. It was interesting to hear about all of them, but also he talked to us about the current situation in Northern Uganda. The peace agreement still has not been signed, but there has been relative peace for almost two years now, which is a great sign. There are a lot of factors that are slowing the peace process from disconnection with the leader of the LRA (Lord’s Resistance Army) Joseph Kony and his negotiators and also constant antagonizing from the government of Uganda. Anyways some people are looking to move from the IDP camps and go home, but some still fear that the LRA will come back.

After that I took lunch at the Bomah café with some of the group. Amy (our leader), Catherine (asst. leader), Danielle, Jo, Bri and myself all went to this place which was super nice, because they had a satellite and I got a little American news. I took a boda home and made a small clip and will try to send it. After that we had meetings all day with Oliker David about the war and from Norman about Acholi song and dance. They were all very interesting as I continue to gain more perspective of the people of Northern Uganda. Many feel so disconnected from the government as President Musevani has continually ignored them in the north.

Finally, the big day came! We went to a place called Kope Café. It was created by people of the IC and all the proceeds go to a dance and music house called HEALS. At the café we met our co-teachers. My guy took a bus an hour and a half to see me, which was so humbling. His name is Alfred (Christian name, they all have Acholi and Christian names), he is 25 and has been teaching for two years. He is pretty funny and very humble. His English is decent and seems very excited and open to have me in the classroom. He is the youngest of all the Ugandan teachers in the exchange and is very excited to have me be a part of Atanga School. All of the teachers sat with their placement and got to know them and started talking about the classes. There will be about 55-60 kids in my classes, but guess what we are studying? North America!!! I’m a prop for the class, so Alfred is super excited. That is like me having a Ugandan to teach about East Africa, I am super excited. We ate and talked and it was a blast. We sent them off and after that created a little dance party at the Kope Café. The group is great and I am a little sad to be separated, but excited for my own opportunity and it will be extremely unique. We walked home in the dark. I would not advise on it, because there are not street lights in Gulu, so there was some tripping and falling going on, but it was a great day. Starting Monday, my blogs will be coming only on weekends because there are no internet places in Atanga. Alfred said he is ready to show this “muzungu” a different side of Uganda and I cannot wait.

"apwooyo tutwal" (thank you very much) to all who have looked at the beginning of a wonderful journey for me.

1 comment:

dad an deb said...

hey bud i hope i am sending this corectly.such the r tard.i am so happy and excited for u .sounds like quite the adventure keep yourself safe.cant wait for your next posting. stay away from poo throwing monkeys love dad an deb